A BETTER UNDERSTANDING
Why do parents choose to circumcise their sons?
RESEARCH SHOWS THAT:
- Current evidence indicates that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks. American Academy of Pediatrics – policy statement for support of male circumcision
- It reduces the risk of urinary tract infection.
- It reduces the risk of penile infection, also called ‘balanoposthitis’.
- It eliminates the need to do it later in life when up to 6% of boys will require a circumcision because of various problems. (When it is done later in life, it is a more costly, difficult, and riskier procedure requiring a general anesthetic. In addition, it is more painful).
- It reduces the risk of getting some sexually transmitted diseases including Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), Herpes (HSV-2) and AIDS (HIV).
- It reduces the risk of penile cancer and cervical cancer in partners.
- Circumcised men have less risk of sexual dysfunction later in life.
Why Choose Us ?
- The absolute comfort of you and your son is our utmost priority; we offer to our circumcision patients an exclusive waiting room as well as a designated ‘Resting Room’ following the procedure.
- We will take all possible measures so that your child feels at ease. Your son will have received Tylenol (see Pre-Operational instructions) before arriving at the clinic, then receive a sugar filled pacifier. To ensure your son feels even less discomfort, our clinic has developed a no-needle anesthesia technique. The dedicated rooms for circumcision have been designed with your child’s comfort in mind. We have considered even the smallest details including increasing room temperature and playing soothing music.
- Our clinic is one of the most experienced circumcision physicians in North America
- Our procedure takes under 5 minutes (10 times quicker than most hospital circumcisions).
- All clients are given the doctor’s contact information in case any concerns should arise.
“Male circumcision is a common procedure, generally performed during the newborn period in the United States. In 2007, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) formed a multidisciplinary circumcision committee and update the Academy’s 1999 recommendations in this area. Evaluation of current evidence indicates that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks and that the procedure’s benefits justify access to this procedure for families who choose it. Specific benefits identified included prevention of urinary tract infections, penile cancer, and transmission of some sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has endorsed this statement.”
— American Academy of Pediatrics
Why do parents choose not to circumcise their sons?
- They are concerned that they may be doing a procedure that may cause pain or complications on an otherwise healthy baby.
- They wonder whether their child will wish that he had not been circumcised at a later time.
- They are unsure of the medical reasons in favour of a circumcision.