Complications are rare; the frequency varies with the skill and experience of the doctor, and are infrequent in our practice.
- Signiﬁcant post-op bleeding (1 in 400)
- Phimosis or narrowing of the shaft skin opening over the head of the penis (1 in 500)
- Buried or trapped penis in
The best time is between 5-12 days of age, although circumcisions are done at our clinic until 6 months of age. Since newborn babies are less aware, families should try their best to have a circumcision done as close to this time period as possible.…
What do I do if after the gauze or the plastibell ring falls off or is removed I can’t see the head of the penis?
Please call our oﬃce to book an appointment with the doctor to examine your baby at 613 604-0480.…
What do I do if after the gauze falls off or is removed, there is still a bridge of skin attached to the head of the penis?
Please call our oﬃce to book an appointment with the doctor for an examination.…
- To stop the bleeding, grasp the penis between your thumb and two ﬁngers and apply pressure to the penis for no less than 2-3 minutes. Use the same pressure you would use to stop a cut on a ﬁnger from bleeding.
- Inspect the area for continued bleeding. Repeat the pressure
- Apply Vaseline liberally over the bandage.
- Close the diaper and allow the bandage to soften for 10-15 minutes.
- Soak your baby in a warm bath for 15 minutes.
- Gently peel away the bandage.
- If the bandage won’t come oﬀ, pull harder and be prepared for the penis to bleed a few
This is normal. Just put a thin layer of Vaseline on one of the gauze pads given to you at the clinic and place it over the penis for the remainder of the 24 hours.…
Gently rub a small amount of Vaseline over the incision site and place a thin layer of Vaseline over the entire penis head with each diaper change, do this for 14 days. If we used the plastibell, you can start applying vaseline or polysporin on the penis head after the plastibell…
If we used the mogen clamp technique: the first 48 hours, you can use a clean towel with water. Then you can bathe him.
With the plastibell, you can bathe him right away.
Try to clean the area the best you can with a wet, soapy cotton ball or soft washcloth followed by a gentle rinse.…