What complications are possible from circumcision?
Complications are rare; the frequency varies with the skill and experience of the doctor, and are infrequent in our practice.
- Signiﬁcant post-op bleeding (1 in 400)
- Phimosis or narrowing of the shaft skin opening over the head of the penis (1 in 500)
- Buried or trapped penis in the abdomen (1 in 800)
- Infection requiring antibiotics (1 in 1000)
- Meatal stenosis or narrowing of the urethra (1 in 1000)
- Sub-optimal cosmetic result (1 in 500)
- Trauma to head of the penis (never occurred in this practice)
- More serious complications including death (never occurred in this practice).