What complications are possible from circumcision?
Complications are rare; the frequency varies with the skill and experience of the doctor, and are infrequent in our practice.
- Signiﬁcant post-op bleeding (1 in 400)
- Phimosis or narrowing of the shaft skin opening over the head of the penis (1 in 500)
- Buried or trapped penis in the abdomen (1 in 800)
- Infection requiring antibiotics (1 in 1000)
- Meatal stenosis or narrowing of the urethra (1 in 1000)
- Sub-optimal cosmetic result (1 in 500)
- Trauma to head of the penis (never occurred in this practice)
- More serious complications including death (never occurred in this practice).
Mathieu Bélanger, MD, CCFP, CPSO Recognized Specialist (Chronic Pain), is the founder and President of Inovo Medical. Dr. Bélanger began his academic career by earning an undergraduate degree in kinesiology (i.e., the science of body mechanics) before enrolling in medicine at the University of Montréal. He is particularly interested in pain related to sports injuries and musculo-skeletal disorders. This interest led him to travel extensively for various types of training on pain treatment given by leading experts. Since then, his objective has been to play an active role in the development and delivery of the most sophisticated and effective treatments for chronic pain.